The sudden news of kidney disease can come as a shock for some, making it difficult to process the information. There may be instances when you want to know more but seem lost in the whole web of advice and multiple clinicians who are now involved. We wanted to provide you a checklist of questions that you may want to ask. You can always modify the question list so that it fits in with your own specific situation. It’s good advice to write down the answers to the questions as you meet with the physicians; the meeting can be overwhelming sometimes and you may or may not remember the whole conversation.
Physical Health Related
- Understanding your kidney function
- How does it affect your other organs?
- Can you still get vaccinated?
- What kind of exercise is allowed
- How to access your reports
Mental Health Related
- How does the reduced kidney function affect mental health?
- How to take care of mental health issues
- Dialysis/ Medication/ Kidney transplant
- Different treatment plans: cost and effects: What are the benefits and detriments of each treatment option?
- What are the risks or side effects of each treatment option? Who is the right person to talk to in case of any side effect
- How should you distinguish between side effects or normal effects?
- Which treatment plan does the specialist suggest and why?
- What is and what is not covered under OHIP or private insurance.
- Appointment schedule
- When and how your input will be taken
- What if you don’t want to dialysis
- Would you be able to work or conduct daily activities?
- Can you still use public transit or do you need a special mobility vehicle?
- How does it impact your family or sexual life?
- What resources are available online or otherwise?
- The cost associated with it
- Free programs
- Communities/patient support groups you can join
- Social worker
- Clinical trial
- Emergency contact number
- Do’s and don’ts of travel
- Name of the medication
- Strength and dose of the medication
- Prescribed times and duration
- What if you miss a dose?
- What is the medication is prescribed for?
- Side effects
- Can it be in the form of pills/ capsules/ syrup/ injection
- Follow up process after a new medication is introduced/ removed from the list
- What medication is covered under the healthcare plan
- What to eat and what to avoid
- Dietitian referral
- Kidney friendly recipes
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.